How to get from Hallstatt to Český Krumlov?
Český Krumlov is located only 150 kilometers (92 miles) north-east of Hallstatt as the crow flies. Both towns are popular among tourist but they are quite small at the same time, therefore, there is no direct bus or train connection between them. In this article, we compared all possible means of transportation including the total door-to-door travel time and prices.
Going by train
Despite the train journey can be quite romantic, taking a train from Hallstatt to Český Krumlov is only for true train lovers - three changes are required (in Attnang-Puchheim, Linz, and České Budějovice) and the fastest combination takes 5 hours and 49 minutes(!)
The Hallstatt railways station is located on the other side of the lake (Hallstättersee) so you have to take a ferry first to get to the station. In Český Krumlov, the station is also not very well accessible: its remote location above the town requires about 30 minutes walking to the downtown which makes it difficult when you carry heavy luggage or if there are older people or babies in your group.
- Price: €3 (getting to the station) + €37 (train ticket) = €40 per person
- Door-to-door travel time: 0:15 (getting to the station) + 0:15 (minimum reserve) + 5:50 (train travel time) + 0:30 (getting to your hotel / old town) = 6 hours and 50 minutes
Going by bus
Similarly to the train, the is no direct bus connection between Hallstatt and Český Krumlov and there is no meaningful way of combining buses only. The only theoretical option would be taking a train to Linz (change in Attnang-Puchheim is needed) and then continuing by bus to Český Krumlov. The bus from Linz to Český Krumlov does not leave from the train station though.
- Price: €3 (getting to the station) + €9-19 (train ticket) + €2.4 (city bus in Linz) + €4-8 (bus ticket) = €18.4-32.4 per person
- Door-to-door travel time: 0:15 (getting to the station) + 0:15 (minimum reserve) + 2:00 (train travel time) + 0:30 (minimum time for change) + 1:15 (bus travel time) + 0:10 (getting to your hotel / old town) = 4 hours and 25 minutes
Renting a car
Hallstatt is a small village and therefore, there is no car rental office. The nearest one is in Salzburg. You will face a similar situation in Český Krumlov. But let's suppose you would like to drive this route: Salzburg - Hallstatt - Český Krumlov - Prague. In that case, you will not avoid the one-way fee.
Please note that all the parking options in Hallstatt and Český Krumlov are subject to a charge and it is prohibited to enter the old town.
- Price: €207-267 (car rental*) + €30 parking fees (Hallstatt and ČK) + €15 (fuel) = €252-312 per car
- Door-to-door travel time: 0:15 (getting to the parking lot and paying) + 3:00 (driving time) + 0:10 (searching for a parking space, parking, and paying) + 0:10 (getting to your hotel / old town) = 3 hours and 35 minutes (plus paper work at the pick-up and drop-off and time to get to and from the office)
* The price of a three-day rental, pick-up in Salzburg, drop-off in Prague, divided by 3 to get the price from Hallstatt to ČK only.
Taking a direct door-to-door shared transfer (shuttle)
Luckily for all the travelers between Hallstatt and Český Krumlov, there is one more option: You can be picked up at your hotel in Hallstatt (except the traffic restricted zone), Obertraun, Bad Goisern, or Bad Ischl and the driver will take you directly to your hotel in Český Krumlov. The ride is shared with other passengers (the maximum capacity is 8) so you do not need to pay for the whole car.
This service combines the best of the private chauffeur service (door-to-door transportation) and the best of public transportation (sharing the cost and capacity with other passengers). There is no need to study multiple timetables, buy multiple tickets and search for public transit stops.
- Price: €25-39 per person (see details)
- Door-to-door travel time: 0:00 - 0:30 (picking up other passengers) + 3:00 (driving time) + 0:00 - 0:15 (dropping off other passengers) = 3 hours to 3 hours and 45 minutes
- See more details about the transfers between Hallstatt and Český Krumlov. Available also from/to Obertraun, Bad Goisern, and Bad Ischl.
If you want to use the usual means of transportation, it is quite difficult to get from Hallstatt to Český Krumlov (and vice versa). Traveling by train or bus requires multiple changes to reach your destination and the tickets cannot be booked at once. In case of a car rental, you need to rent the car for a longer period since there are rental offices neither in Hallstatt nor in Český Krumlov and count with quite high parking fees and car restrictions in both towns.
Fortunately, there is also another option available: direct door-to-door shared shuttle which takes you from your hotel directly to your other hotel quickly and comfortably at a very reasonable price.