How to get from Vienna to Český Krumlov?
Český Krumlov is located only 165 kilometers (103 miles) north-west of Vienna concerning the air distance. Despite being relatively close to each other, there is no main road or railroad connecting these cities. In this article, we compared all possible means of transportation including the total door-to-door travel time and prices.
Going by train
Taking a train from Vienna to Český Krumlov is not the best idea - two changes are required (in Linz and České Budějovice) and the fastest combination takes 4 hours and 18 minutes.
One more thing you should be aware of is that the railway station in Český Krumlov is located quite high above the town and the walking distance is about 30 minutes from the old town which makes it difficult when you carry heavy luggage or if there are older people or babies in your group.
- Price: €2.4-4 (getting to the station) + €35-45 (train ticket) = €37.4-49 per person
- Door-to-door travel time: 0:15 (getting to the station) + 0:15 (minimum reserve) + 4:18 (train travel time) + 0:30 (getting to your hotel / old town) = 5 hours and 18 minutes
Going by bus
Traveling by bus from Český Krumlov to Vienna (or vice versa) is quite a new option - FlixBus started to operate this route in 2019. During the off-season, it operates on selected days only. The bus does not go straight but makes a detour via České Budějovice and Třeboň.
- Price: €2.4-4 (getting to the station) + €9-19 (bus ticket) = €11.4-23 per person
- Door-to-door travel time: 0:15 (getting to the station) + 0:15 (minimum reserve) + 4:00 (bus travel time) + 0:10 (getting to your hotel / old town) = 4 hours and 40 minutes
Renting a car
Renting a car is always an option but most likely, your journey does not start or end in Český Krumlov and returning back to Vienna would cost you your priceless vacation time. That means you have to expect the pricey one-way rental.
Please note that all the parking options in Český Krumlov are subject to a charge and it is prohibited to enter the old town (unless your accommodation provides a parking space there).
- Price: €5-10 (getting to the rental office) + €171-300 (car rental*) + €9 parking fee (half-day) + €15 (fuel) = €200-334 per car
- Door-to-door travel time: 0:20 (getting to the office) + 0:30 (paper work) + 2:50 (driving time) + 0:10 (searching for a parking space, parking, and paying) + 0:10 (getting to your hotel / old town) = 4 hours
* The price of a two-day rental, pick-up in Vienna, drop-off in Prague, divided by 2 to get the price from Vienna to ČK only.
Taking a direct door-to-door shared transfer (shuttle)
There is also a fourth option which may surprise you. You can be picked up at your hotel (or Airbnb or basically any place) and the driver will take you directly to the old town in Český Krumlov - to your hotel or to a place which is ideal to start your day trip. The ride is shared with other passengers (the maximum capacity is 8) but it can happen that you are the only group/individual traveling. The price remains the same.
This service combines the best of the private chauffeur service (door-to-door transportation) and the best of public transportation (sharing the cost and capacity with other passengers). There is no need to search for the bus stop and your hotel, no need to change the means of transportation or drive by yourself.
Getting from Vienna to Český Krumlov (and vice versa) can be pretty tricky. However, there is a fast and convenient way represented by door-to-door shared shuttle which takes you from your hotel directly to your other hotel completely hassle-free. For budget travelers, taking a bus can be an option too.